Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New opportunities

You never know what sort of new opportunities you will land when you wake up in the morning. I was about to leave for work when my housemate comes up to me and says that El Babour (the local spice shop) is looking for a volunteer from the Fauzi Azar that can speak English, Hebrew and Arabic. Apparently they need help with the tourists (El Babour is incredible famous for its olive oil and spices) who only speak English. So I head down to the shop and meet with the managers who are thrilled! After countless cups of coffee and ramblings in Hebrew and Arabic, I finally leave with a new volunteer opportunity! Did not expect that one to happen.

However, the best part of the day has been my interview with the local Imam, Abu Anis Muhammad. What's great about Netzrat is that everyone knows each other, and once they know you, they know you forever. No longer can I walk around without being greeted loudly or ushered in for a cup of coffee. (At first, I was that 'American redheaded volunteer' but now I am 'the gingit elana, sh'medaberet ivrit' - the redheaded Elana who speaks Hebrew.) Anyways, Abu Anis and I talked for well over an hour (drinking even more coffee) about what peace means to us. As I mentioned earlier, Abu Anis is unique for he openly takes a very peaceful approach to the conflict. He told me that just recently, his good friend from Haifa (a rabbi) was recently in a car crash and without thinking twice, (Abu Anis) jumped in his car to visit him. He could not begin to stress more that this conflict can only be solved if we see each other eye to eye. But this must be willingly done, as brothers and sisters. As I left, he kissed me on both cheeks and invited me and the other volunteers to his house for even more coffee. I have never been this caffeinated in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment