Friday, June 1, 2012

Only in Nazareth...

Does a store owner see you with a Fauzi Azar staff shirt on and push through a group of overweight tourists, holding your hand to get you through a crowd. Does my co-worker invite me to share his dinner with you and then yell at you, "stop being so Jewish!" when I begin protesting against his generosity. Does the Imam of a local mosque greet you personally as you walk by. Does your boss check with you to see if you would like Shabbat off, despite being an Arab.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you Elana! Thank you for doing this blog!! Today, one of my students was honored at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a ninth grader, and the other art teacher at my school and I watched as about fifty students, each from another NYC public school received the same award from his or her school. They were all colors of the world, Arab names, Jewish names, Spanish names, Slavik names and they all won art awards. Then someone said something about this being the world and they are our future and the importance of young artists in society. I think you and I have similar reactions about the world today. Have a wonderful trip and bring home this understanding of the importance of love and respect among humans! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elana! I am so glad you are keeping a blog. Your adventures sound just outstanding - good and bad included. I will write you an email soon, but for now, keep the observations and descriptions of your experiences flowing.

    ReplyDelete